Quilt

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Philippians 4:13

If a picture is worth a thousand words, I think the pictures in this post are priceless.

I took them a few months ago at the start of Owen's journey crawling -- Since then, I have shared them with my mom, who shared them with her prayer group at work, and it seems they have touched others as well, so I thought I would pass them on to you :)

Never did I imagine the beauty that the images would hold...


At first glance, these pictures brought me mixed emotions...

No one likes to watch anyone struggle, much less a baby, much less their own child. I have to admit, sometimes I get frustrated at the grip Down syndrome has on my baby. I get frustrated that Owen has to struggle so much just to get by. He didn't 'choose' to have Down syndrome. There was nothing we did to 'cause' it. It's not 'fair' that he has to work twice as hard all the time...

In the world of Down syndrome, there is no denying that even play time can become 'work'. In these pictures Owen was 'working' SO hard to reach his toy. You can literally feel his blood, sweat, and tears pouring out of the images. Owen has an enormous disadvantage. Everyday, his genetic makeup makes seemingly insignificant tasks a challenge. Everayday things, that most of us take for granted, like learning to move, are inherently difficult for him.

My first glance at these pictures was fleeting...

I can't help but linger at the true beauty behind the images, and the gift they are, that Owen is, to us all. You see, Owen is determined. Our Owen has been a fighter since the day he was born -- Owen doesn't make excuses, and he doesn't quit; Owen lets NOTHING get in his way.

I think of Owen's fight on a daily basis. I marvel at his fortitude -- at his fierce determination -- at his inner strength. He is only 8 months old, and his persistance and percerverance constantly amaze me. Owen embraces life, and ALL that God has given him -- and he serves as a beautiful reminder for all of us.

To pass on our little blessing -- next time you get tired, or feel depressed, or feel challenged by the day God has given you, or the circumstances at hand, think of Owen, and his fight. Owen is a very real reminder that every day is a blessing regardless of your life's circumstances, and that God is with you ALWAYS.

TRIUMPH!



"I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength"


Philippians 4:13

4 comments:

  1. Love, love, love. I find myself searching for strength a lot and I will remember Owen's precious determination and drive to succeed. Beautiful post, and beautiful baby. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz,

    Thank you so much for sharing!! As you said, the pictures alone are so inspirational! (Love the "triumph" photo!!) Your new "up" world is one that is pretty unfamiliar to me, and I'm grateful that you are sharing your experiences. Owen is such a gift...just a precious little bundle of love...and obviously determination! :) I look forward to following along on your journey as a family. Love you guys!!

    ~Adrienne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE THIS POST. You don't know me, I'm a pastor in Albertville, Al.
    I hope you don't mind me using this illustration for my sermon. I'm sure to give your credit due, and give our God the glory.
    God Bless
    Neal Chaffin
    poppabull@att.net

    ReplyDelete